Publish in Philippine star
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has turned down a demand by the communist New People’s Army (NPA) to suspend military operations in Bukidnon for the release of two captive soldiers.
The Armed Forces Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) said they would not stop running after the rebels who seized two soldiers of the Army’s 8th Infantry Battalion (IB) last month.
The NPA earlier admitted kidnapping Pfcs Marnel Cinches and Jerrel Yurong, who were both unarmed and in civilian clothes, in Barangay Buntungon, Impasug-ong town last Aug. 22.
The NPA, through its spokesman Allan Juanito, demanded the suspension of military and police operations as a condition for the release of the two soldiers.
Lt. Col. Lennon Babilonia, 8th IB commander, said the joint military and police operation would continue in the province.
Eastmincom commander Maj. Gen. Aurelio Baladad ordered military unit commanders in the area to pursue the rebels who kidnapped the soldiers.